Wednesday 3 April 2013

Lessons Along the Way



This little thing has multiple congenital anomalies. TGA, kidney and other visceral anomalies.
He's arrested three times in a row. The chief resident walks in, "don't resuscitate again if he goes into another arrest", she snaps.
A few minutes later and he's turning blue with both his breath and heart rate dropping down in a blur.
The little baby dies. A few of those attending try to CPR him, but to no avail
His mum walks in, as if she's felt it coming:
"Ahmed, these are his ECG results, when is gonna leave with me, doctor?" She pushes his investigation papers to me b
"Umm, Ahmed? Well..."
I gesture to another doctor to come over.
"Look here, he came to us with a failing heart, my dear. We did all we could have done" she says casting her eyes down in an attempt of commiseration.

Now the mother's reaction struck me speechless. She smiles and mutters:

"انا لله و انا اليه راجعون،
ربنا هو اللي ادهولي و انا اكيد مش ارحم به منه"

""We all belong to God, and to Him we shall return,
It's God who granted me this, and I'm certainly not more Merciful than Him."

Despite the feeling of great loss that echoed through her entire body, she still held on to God. Seeing this most profound calamity of losing her infant nothing but another test of this life.

I'm speechless. In fact I'm heading home today cutting my ER stay short because of what I've just grasped. A lesson that shall always be in my little backpack as I go through life: Faith eases it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.